Monday, January 31, 2011

The Great Gatsby Chapter 6 Response

While reading chapter six, I thought it was rude of a reporter to interview Gatsby just because rumors about Gatsby were going around. I was so excited to hear the truth about Gatsby's life because I have been told nothing but lies about Gatsby's life in this book. I found it interesting that Gatbsy grew up on a farm because he comes across as more of a city boy. Also, I was surprised to hear that Gatsby dropped out of college after only two weeks of being enrolled. When I heard that he dropped out because he hated the humiliation he had to deal with while being a janitor, I felt sad for him because all of this cost him his education. I was also surprised to hear that Gatsby had to work as a janitor during college to pay for his tuition. This means that he didn't come from a wealthy family after all. I felt like Gatsby meeting Dan really motivated him to become a hard worker. After Dan died Gatsby dedicated himself to becoming a wealthy and successful man. I thought it was weird that Nick didn't see Gatsby or Daisy for several weeks after their reunion. I felt like it was a bad idea for Tom to be at Gatsby's house because Gatsby was in love with his wife. I felt like Tom was dumb not to realize that Gatsby and Daisy have a relationship. Tom finally turned around when he decided to go to Gatsby's party with Daisy to keep an eye on her. I feel like Gatsby really cares about Daisy because after the party was over, Gatsby was very unhappy because Daisy didn't have a good time at the party. I didn't like how Gatsby thought that his money could accomplish everything as far as Daisy is concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment